"PanelWhiz - Data work done on YOUR time, or in NO time! Your Choice!" |
Frequently Asked Questions
The author's motivation for writing PanelWhiz
- Q. Why did you write this program?
A. I would like to disseminate my knowledge in this area to as many panel data users as possible and also help some very needy kids at the same time.
- Q. Why did you select the data sets that you did?
A. Well, these are the data sets that I personally use and know something about.
- Q. What makes the author qualified to write a program like PanelWhiz?
A. Well, I worked 7 years at the German Socio-Economic Panel group (SOEP) in Berlin. Years of user-support toughens you up! I first used Stata in 1991.
- Q. Do I need to use PanelWhiz to be able to work with the suppored data sets?
A. NO! It just depends on what the value of your time is! Want to save lots of time? Use PanelWhiz!
Conditions of Use
- Q. Why do I have to sign a contract to use PanelWhiz?
A. You may use PanelWhiz only under certain conditions. These are defined in the contract.
- Q. Why do I have to donate to UNICEF to use PanelWhiz?
A. Every single researcher, young and old can afford to donate to UNICEF. Kids in poverty need the money more than we do!
- Q. Why does it have to be UNICEF? Why can't it be another charity?
A. Donating to UNICEF online is possible everywhere in the world and the work that UNICEF does is very good!
- Q. May I "test" PanelWhiz before donating to UNICEF?
A. No. The documentation, I think, is clear enough to outline the functionality of PanelWhiz."
- Q. Do I really have to fill out this contract? It takes so long!
A. Sorry, but a little bit of paper work is necessary.
- Q. Do I really have to send a copy of the UNICEF donation with the completed contract?
Q. Yes. I would like to be able to announce how much money that PanelWhiz users have been able to donate to UNICEF.
- Q. I am a student. Is there a rebate for students?
A. No, sorry! Exact same donation to UNICEF. We are typically talking about the cost of 4-5 beers in a pub! Kids in poverty will be very grateful.
- Q. Why do I have to cite using PanelWhiz in any and all documents resulting from the use of PanelWhiz?
A. Well, for one, you are using the intellectual property of somebody else (me) to save yourself time. An for two, it's only fair.
- Q. Why do I have to cite the authors of PanelWhiz Plugins that I have used in my projects?
A. Well, for one, you are using the intellectual property of somebody else to save yourself time. An for two, it's only fair.
- Q. Can I have PanelWhiz installed on my laptop and desktop at the same time.
A. Yes, so long as YOU and ONLY YOU have access to PanelWhiz on ALL machines.
- Q. Can I give a copy of PanelWhiz to a friend/colleague?
- Q. Can I give a copy of PanelWhiz to a friend/colleague because he doesn't have any money?
- Q. Can I give a copy of PanelWhiz to a friend/colleague because he doesn't have time to fill out the contract?
- Q. Can I give a copy of PanelWhiz to a friend/colleague because .... ?
A. No. Stop being silly!
- Q. Can I take PanelWhiz source code (and/or change it) and use it in other projects.
A. No. This is explicitly forbidden.
- Q. Will PanelWhiz work with ANY data set?
A. In theory, yes. However, the datasets must be explicitly integrated into the PanelWhiz system. This is something that I do. PanelWhiz users may not do this themselves.
- Q. I am a data provider. I would like to have my data set integrated into PanelWhiz. Is that possible?
A. In general, yes, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
User Comments and Suggestions
- Q. How do I know for sure that PanelWhiz works correctly?
A. Well, you don't. Just like you don't know if any Stata *.ado file (written either by Stata themselves or user contrubted) works 100% prefectly. The programs are all available in source code, so finding problems is much easier than compiled protected code.
- Q. Can I trust these PanelWhiz plugins?
A. Well, each plugin has a named author. Can you trust this person named in the plugin? I prefer this method than simply accepting generated variables from data providers, who typically do NOT distribute source code of their generated variables.
- Q. What if I know that PanelWhiz has made an error?
A. Woops, sorry! Please tell me and I will correct the error as soon as possible. Don't forget, I use PanelWhiz for my OWN projects too!
© 2013 Dr. John P. Haisken-DeNew
- Q. What if I had a good idea for expanding PanelWhiz, would the author be willing to do this?
A. Depends on the complexity and usability. In any case, please contact me at email@example.com.
Not responsible for any links outside this site.